Thursday, January 30, 2014

Ten Common Topics of Church Member Arguments

By Thom S. Rainer
For many years I served as a consultant to churches and denominations, a role I relinquished when I became president of LifeWay over eight years ago. Part of our consultative process was interviewing church members. Inevitably I would hear issues of concern and issues among church members over which arguments took place.
This blog is a forum for many different voices in the world of Christian churches. But, in different posts, I have heard the same theme of disagreements among church members that I heard in my church consultations. You can see many of those comments in past blog posts.
My purpose in this post is not to offer my own assessment of each argument, just to point out common issues in many churches. You will notice that I don’t mention biblical and theological arguments on this list. Those arguments are pervasive in other blogs, but they typically take place among pastors and theologians. The following, however, are more common among the rank-and-file church members.