Friday, March 22, 2013

Duck Dynasty's Commander Talks Faith

By Diana Chandler

The 8.6 million who viewed the 2013 season premiere of "Duck Dynasty" no doubt enjoy family patriarch Phil Robertson's antics, from his unkempt beard to promises of poor hygiene. But the fisherman and duck caller with a master's degree in education also tells a story of faith.

Robertson's faith walk began in his late 20s during his "sex, drugs and rock and roll lifestyle" when his sister was handing out Christian tracts in a bar where he worked, he said in an interview at LifeWay.com.

"I just decided to follow Him 38 years ago when I heard that He, in fact, was God in flesh. Not only was He God in flesh, it took the blood of God to remove my 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll' lifestyle -- sin," Robertson said. "Well, I'm sitting there listening and I'm like, 'Man, that was a mighty kind thing to do for a scumbag like me.' Not only that, it wouldn't do me any good, though, if something could not be done about the six-foot hole I'm going into -- and you too, by the way."

When the reality show premiered in March 2012 on A&E television, his sons and co-stars told him to contain himself, "because the Hollywood people wouldn't let him get away with preaching," Robertson said.

Robertson's new book "Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander" will be available in May. He also tells his story of faith at churches and community events across the U.S.


Read more...