Friday, May 28, 2010

Seven Mistakes I Made In Ministry

By Thom Rainer

My wife and I were in a conversation recently about our years together. We will celebrate 33 years of marriage this year, and we dated for almost six years. The simple math was a surprise. We have been dating or married for nearly four decades!

It was a good conversation. But I had my moments of regret. Times that I was too busy for my family. My tendency to want to win an argument with my wife rather than resolve the problem. Failure to slow down and enjoy life. I

then reflected on my years when I served as senior pastor of four churches. I have often said that I wanted to write a book entitled "Mistakes I Made in Ministry." Then I realized it would have to be a multivolume series!

There are no "do overs" in life and ministry. But there are always opportunities to learn, correct and improve. So I decided to share with you seven of the key mistakes I made as a senior pastor. Obviously, the list is not exhaustive. Seven just seemed to be a good, biblical number.

As I just began thinking about the mistakes I made as a pastor, I realized how gracious most church members were to me. And I realized how my family's love for me is a total gift of grace. Here are the seven, but they are really just the beginning of many more.

Read more...

Until next time...share the journey and enjoy the ride!

Pat