Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Name Game With Small Groups

In my last blog post about Starting A Small Groups Ministry--Not All Groups Are Created Equal! I referred to the "name game" taking place today with small groups. It seems these days all kinds of names are being used to label all kinds of small groups in churches. I suppose that names do matter especially if they truly are descriptive rather than some creative marketing attempt. However, it no longer seems possible to always know about the purpose of a group or the experience within a group simply by its name.

Yeah, I know Sunday School seems antiquated, but it still communicates for most people. Even in different parts of the country the term still has recognition regardless of any unwanted connotations it may or may not carry. And although I have used a variety of names for the different kinds of small groups in the churches where I have served, if you jabbed me awake on a Sunday morning I would still think I was running late for “Sunday School”!

Enjoy this article by David Francis entitled What If We Renamed Sunday School?

Until next time…share the journey and enjoy the ride!


Pat