Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Leadership Training And On-going Leader Meetings

One critically important aspect of your ministry plans for the coming year is how you will conduct leadership training as well as on-going leader meetings to keep your leaders inspired, informed, and moving forward in ministry.

I have tried all types of schedules and approaches to leadership training and on-going leader meetings. My best success in the churches where I have served has come by planning a training event for all my leaders as a fall kick-off in late August or early September; plan another training and appreciation event in January or February; and then meeting with department directors (or the administrative leaders of classes) on Sunday mornings once a month during the actual Bible Study hour once the teaching segment begins. Meeting for 30 minutes before the morning schedule begins can also work. I have found that having 30 minute administrative meetings once a month such as this produced my best attendance and thus better two-way communication between myself and my directors. And I would continually be having breakfast and lunch meetings with directors and teachers to make sure they were on track in ministry and for personal ministry and encouragement.

I don’t think one specific plan will necessarily fit the needs of every church all the time. Be creative, flexible, and persistent in leading your leaders. Don’t give up on this challenging aspect of leadership because it's vital to your ministry effectiveness and impact!

Here is a four-part series of articles entitled Weekly Teacher Training Still Works, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4 that perhaps can help you develop a plan that works for your particular church.

Until next time…share the journey and enjoy the ride!

Pat