Thursday, May 22, 2008

Should Outreach Be A Program?

While web surfing last weekend I saw an article on the website of Outreach Magazine that immediately caught my attention. It’s somewhat of a point, counterpoint perspective. And although I don’t agree with every statement from the author, he makes some good points. Read Is Outreach a Program? Nay, I Say! to explore it for yourself.

I do believe that programs and campaigns can be helpful in creating focus, energy, and momentum in ministry. But, I also know from experience that long-term and on-going program hype can be draining and ultimately counter-productive to a ministry staff and congregation.

I agree with the author that serving must be a lifestyle, and that treating outreach solely as a program will never create a widespread understanding of such. Making outreach "organic" rather than "programmatic" is definitely a better way in helping people develop an outreach lifestyle that is integrated into their daily lives.

So, how do we best balance creating energy and building momentum in our outreach ministries through programs while at the same time organically building a lifestyle of outreach into the daily lives of our people?

What do you think? I would love to hear from you.

Until next time…share the journey and enjoy the ride!

Pat