Friday, April 11, 2008

Managing Change

I had the opportunity to attend the annual BACE Conference March 6-7 hosted by the South Main Baptist Church in Pasadena, Texas. The Baptist Association of Christian Educators (BACE) is a great organization of which I am a Life Member. I have always looked forward to attending the annual meetings to renew old friendships and make new ones. I first attended one of their conferences I think while I was still a seminary student. It has been a wonderful network for me through the years where I have been personally encouraged and professionally enriched. So, it’s easy for me to recommend it to you. Check it out @ http://www.baptisteducators.org/.

Next year’s annual meeting sounds especially promising. It will be held February 25-26 at Ridgecrest Conference Center in North Carolina under the theme “Ministering in an ADHD World.” And there is another conference immediately following it with Thom Rainer unwrapping his new book, Essential Church.

I was particularly interested in attending the annual conference this year. First, it was close to where I now live and was going to be easier for me to participate than in the past. Second, there were three speakers on the agenda and I had some interest in all three. I was interested most of all in hearing Milford Minatrea speaking on the topic “Managing Change”. If you have not read his book Shaped By God’s Heart: The Passion and Practices of Missional Churches (Jossey-Bass, 2004) you are behind the current “missional” wave. In it he addresses his thoughts in three sections: (1) The Church in a New and Changing World, (2) The Nine Essential Practices of Missional Churches, and (3) Structures and Strategies for Becoming Missional. Anyway, his presentation on “Managing Change” in the conference’s last session did not disappoint. You can download his PowerPoint presentation from the BACE website @ http://www.baptisteducators.org/. Download the file before it disappears. You'll be glad you did.

Until next time…share the journey and enjoy the ride!

Pat