Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Look At The Church In America

Topper Reid is another great Christian Educator you need to know. I have known Topper for several years as a colleague through the METRO Ministers of Education group. Along with many others, I hold him in high regard as a person and ministry leader. After serving twenty-four years as a Minister of Education he continues to be a leader in the area of Christian Education as a writer, conference leader, and mentor to many Ministers of Education. He is currently Director of Church Development at MG&A, Inc. in Birmingham, Alabama (http://www.mgandassociates.com/).

Topper recently gave a snapshot of his view of the church in America based on his reading of three popular books in current circulation among church leaders. Check out his article below and read the books he references; they should be required reading in today’s ministry climate.

The book The Present Future by Reggie McNeal has especially thrown me off balance. My three points of disruption after reading and reflection are:
1) Spiritual Formation should become characterized as relational, community vs. educational, classroom.
2) Leadership should become characterized as younger, inexperienced, immature, experiential, participatory vs. older, experienced, mature, cognitive, individualistic.
3) Evangelism should become characterized as off-campus, missional, going, relational, informal, spontaneous vs. on-campus, institutional, coming, presentational, formal, organized.

What concerns you most in ministry today? What are you wrestling with?

Until next time…share the journey and enjoy the ride!

Pat


A Look at the Church in America
Written by Topper Reid

I recently finished reading three books related to church. As a result, I was challenged to look at the way we do church in America. The three books I read were: Simple Church, The Present Future, and The Barbarian Way. Mixing all three of these books together was akin to watching Emeril concoct a particularly wild dish on his television food show!

As a result of this reading experience, I asked myself the following question: “Could we be amiss in the way we do church?” Before you commit me to some heresy asylum, let me explain. I will share with you my thoughts as I blended the concepts in these books and challenged myself to consider the implications. I don’t mean to say that we are doing church all wrong; it may be that our focus is blurred and some of our priorities are out of balance.

Read this entire article @
http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/article_main_page/0%2C1703%2CA%25253D166222%252526M%25253D201096%2C00.html?