Sunday, March 30, 2008

Deacons As Servant Leaders

I have had deacons and servant leadership on my mind this weekend. Back in January I led a weekend retreat for the deacons of FBC, Baytown at Lake Tomahawk, which is their associational encampment just east of Livingston. I had met Carey Froelich who is their Minister of Education on a church visit in the fall. He subsequently invited me to lead the retreat as part of an overall plan and process of transitioning their church and deacons to a more ministry teams based approach for doing church. The church has been through a long pastoral interim but now has a new pastor that they excited about and are moving forward again. But they are choosing to take some new directions and I commend them for their vision and courage. It’s probably not been an easy road for them and their story will be one to continue to watch unfold. Carey’s gifted and seasoned leadership no doubt has been invaluable during their leadership interim and ministry transition. I basically spent Friday night and Saturday morning just walking their deacons through Gene Wilkes’ Jesus on Leadership material painting a picture of servant leadership, what a servant leader looks like, and how they lead. It was a great time with a super group of guys and a pleasure hanging out with them.

So, today I did a return engagement of sorts. I spent my afternoon leading the Annual Deacon Workshop for the San Jacinto Baptist Association over at FBC, Baytown. It was an enjoyable time and I am thankful for the opportunity. I was primarily focusing on deacons rediscovering servanthood, an overview of Jesus on Leadership, and some practical suggestions related to transitioning to deacon ministry teams. If these are issues you are interested in, check out the three great resources below.

Until next time…share the journey and enjoy the ride!

Pat


Resources:

Deacons: Servant Models in the Church by Henry Webb. Broadman & Holman. 2001.

Jesus on Leadership: Becoming A Servant Leader by Gene Wilkes. LifeWay Press. 1998.

Unleashing the Power of Deacon-Led Ministry Teams by John Temple. LifeWay Press. 2004